Living in your home

Your home

If you live in one of our homes, please take time to read through this important information. Find out about your home, how to look after it, and some of the important rules which are part of your tenancy agreement with us.

Occupying your home

You must occupy and furnish the property and use it solely as your only or principal home.

Decorating and furnishing

You are responsible for decorating and furnishing your home and keeping it in good condition.

Insuring your possessions

You are responsible for insuring the contents of your home. We strongly advise that you take out contents insurance to cover your possessions and valuables. Most contents insurance will cover you against costs that you are liable for as a tenant – for example if you cause damage to the property, or to our fixtures and fittings or if the internal decoration is damaged. Find out more about contents insurance here.


Tenants must ask permission to keep a pet. We will not withhold this permission unreasonably, but we will consider if it is likely to cause any issues for neighbours or for the condition of the property. This may particularly apply if you live in a block of flats, or flats with access to furnished communal areas. Read our pet policy here.

If you own a pet, it is your responsibility to make sure that it does not foul in the common areas or grounds. It is also your responsibility to make sure that it does not cause any deterioration or damage to the property, the communal areas or in the vicinity of the property. If you have a dog, try not to let it become a nuisance by being noisy, especially early in the morning or late at night.

There are laws to control dog nuisance and we can insist that you find a new home for your pet if it is not kept under control.

Household rubbish

As a tenant it is your responsibility to dispose of your household rubbish using the bins provided.
Rubbish collection is the responsibility of Renfrewshire Council. They can advise you about collection days and recycling arrangements for your area contact 0141 842 4448.

Special uplift for bulk items

If you are a tenant and have any large items that need to be uplifted such as furniture, white goods, carpets etc., you should report this to the Association before you put the items out. You should contact 01505 384105 with details of each of the items that you want to be uplifted.

Please note that where a substantial amount of items are required to be uplifted, we may decide that a charge will need to be applied. A visit will be made and you will be advised of the outcome.

There is a charge for the Association to uplift fridge/freezers. This is currently £13.00. You will be required to pay this amount prior to the fridge/freezer being uplifted.

There are also other options.

If you are disposing of furniture, garden equipment, clothing, white goods in relatively good condition then you can contact Project Oskar, a furniture recycling centre in Paisley. They will arrange to uplift the items from your home. You can contact them on 0141 847 6626.

If the items are in poor condition then you can arrange for their disposal yourself. Items can be taken to the recycling centres at the following addresses:

  • Middleton Road, Linwood (nearest postcode is PA3 3DP)
  • Miller Street, Johnstone (nearest postcode is PA5 8HP)
  • 52 Underwood Road, Paisley, PA3 1TL

There is no charge to householders to use these facilities.


If you have exclusive use of a garden it is your responsibility to maintain it in a neat and tidy condition by cutting grass and hedges regularly.

Where your property is part of a block with a shared garden or backcourt area, you must take it in turn with other residents to maintain the area to a reasonable condition, and keeping the bin stores in a reasonable condition.

You will be advised when you sign for the tenancy as to whether you are responsible for maintaining the garden.

Common closes

Where your property is part of a block with common areas, you must take it in turns with other residents to ensure these parts are swept and washed on a weekly basis.

There will normally be a rota in place so that you will know when it is your turn.

Should residents not take their turn, then it may be necessary for a cleaning service to be introduced, the cost of which would be divided equally between all residents.

Succession to a tenancy

Succession is where a tenant dies and the tenancy passes to another member of the tenant’s family or a carer who lived with them. This provides security for your family.

If you die, the following people will have the right to take over your tenancy:

  • Your husband, wife, partner or joint tenant as long as the house has been their only or main home for at least six months before your death
  • A member of your family, as long as the house was their only or main home at the time of your death
  • A person who has given up their own home to care for your (or a member of your household) as long as the house was their only or main home at the time of your death

Family members and carers do not have the right to take over your tenancy if your property has been designed or adapted for someone with special needs, but we will consider them for rehousing elsewhere.

The Scottish Secure Tenancy can be passed on by succession twice.

It is important to keep us up to date with details of the members of your household.

If someone wants to take over your tenancy they should tell us within 28 days of your death. We will process the request in line with the above conditions.

Assigning (transferring) a tenancy

If your relationship breaks down or your personal circumstances change, you may want to move permanently out of your home and ask us to transfer your tenancy to another member of your household.

You can transfer your tenancy to someone else as long as that person has been living in the property as their only or main home for at least six months.

The new tenant must be willing to accept responsibility for the tenancy and the property as it is. You must tell us if you want to transfer your tenancy, and get our permission in writing.

Changing your name

If you change your name, please let us know in writing to allow us to update all our records.


Subletting is where you move out of your home temporarily, and let it to someone else. Legally you would still be our tenant and still have all your rights and responsibilities.

Under your tenancy agreement, the new temporary tenant becomes the ‘sub tenant’. You can sublet your tenancy with our permission. You must tell us that you want to sublet your home beforehand.

You should consider the following if you want to sublet your home:

  • You will still be the legal tenant of the property and will be responsible for making sure the rent is paid on time
  • You will be responsible for the behaviour of your sub tenant, in or around your home
  • You must make a legal agreement between you and your sub tenant
  • You will be responsible for any damage the sub tenant causes to the property
  • It will be your responsibility to make sure that your sub tenant leaves when you want to return to your home, or if you intend to give up your tenancy
  • We would agree the amount of rent and service charges the sub tenant will pay for a fixed period. We will need to agree any changes to these charges
  • We will not give you permission to sublet your home if it means the property becomes overcrowded. Or, we will cancel our permission for you to keep subletting your home if the number of people living in your home changes and means the property becomes overcrowded


A lodger is a guest in your home, who pays you rent. You would continue to live in the property, and let a room out for rent. You cannot take in a lodger without our permission in writing beforehand, which we would not unreasonably refuse.

If you are thinking of taking in a lodger, here are a few things you should consider:

  • We will not give you permission if it means the property becomes overcrowded
  • You will need to declare any payments you receive if you claim Housing Benefit, for example, because they will be classed as income
  • You will be responsible for your lodger’s behaviour in, or around your home. It is your responsibility to make sure that the lodger leaves when you want them to, or if you want to end your tenancy
  • If the number of people in your family increases you may not qualify to transfer, as the lodger moving out of your home would solve the overcrowding